Friday, July 24, 2009

Local Harvest - Seafood?

Last night we had fresh flounder, caught that morning, by a local fisherman. It was the most amazingly delicious fish I had ever eaten. Of course, I thought immediately of the recent articles on Honest Meat entitled Surf and Turf (Part 1 and Part 2). I have not decided to not buy fish, since we do eat it rarely (maybe once a month), but I am getting close.

Of course, seafood IS a local harvest for this area, and the local fishermen are suffering. So what's more evil: Steak from the midwest or fish from the Gulf of Maine?

Since we don't really eat much beef, a better question might be: Local pork or local seafood? We all know that grass-fed meats are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, but are they as good for you as fresh white fish or other seafoods?

I definitely need to do more research on this. Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.


1 comment:

Funder said...

I think maybe local trumps sustainable here. If I lived on the coast, I'd definitely buy local fish!

I usually really enjoy Honest Meat, but Part 2 of that series really irked me. She really abused statistics to make a point, I thought. Comparing the US RDA with world consumption of seafood is just silly. And on top of that, what % of Americans actually follow the USDA's recommendations? In my experience, people either like fish and eat it often or they hate it and never/rarely eat it. Who on earth makes a weekly shopping list that includes two servings of fish per week? Pfff, you buy fish when you're in the mood for that species and your bank account is flush.

Also, I think the USDA's protein recommendations are too low. I could go on a whole rant about that, too, but I'll save it for another time. :)