Friday, January 15, 2010

2009 Seed Swap Update!

Thanks to all my wonderful readers who are participating in the seed swap. I am going to be putting together the routes this weekend and mailing the packages on Monday. If you would like to get in on the fun and have not already emailed me your address, send it to fiveacresenough at gmail dot com.

I've ordered my 2010 seeds, primarily from High Mowing and Heirloom Seeds. I went with a couple of hybrids for the crops that did the worst last year, namely corn and brussel sprouts. Absolutely no GMO seeds however. I am very excited about some of the new varieties and some of my favorites, like the Blue Lake Pole Beans and De Cocci broccoli, are making a return. I am trying a dry bean this year to make New England's famous Boston Baked beans! I went with completely new varieties of tomatoes, searching for that elusive big producer with blight resistance and I am going to try a field tomato outside the greenhouse as well, since space is limited in the hot house.

I also found a local provider of seed potatoes and ordered 50 lbs. I hope I have room in my expanded garden for all this food!

Like last year, the seed producers are predicting shortages due to the tough economic times, so I would get my orders in fairly soon, especially if you are looking for open-pollinated or otherwise heirloom type seeds.