Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Off Balance

If you are looking for some happy sunshine, best look past this post. I've been busy and Spring is sorta kinda happening, so life has been pretty good. So I've been coasting along -- la, la, la, la, la -- with my biggest worry being how soon can I start drinking my goat's milk.

My readers keep me on track though by sending me news articles in the mainstream media about our impending food crisis. The little signs are everywhere: disappearing bees, antibiotic resistant staph, deforestation, pesticide runoff, unusual growths linked to GMO foods. There's a groundswell of support for the local and Organic movements, but there's still so far to go.

Here's a couple of articles to zest up your day:


EPA officials said they are aware of problems involving pesticides and bees and the agency is "very seriously concerned."

The pesticides are not a risk to honey sold to consumers, federal officials say. And the pollen that people eat is probably safe because it is usually from remote areas where pesticides are not used, Pettis said. But the PLOS study found 121 different types of pesticides within 887 wax, pollen, bee and hive samples.

Um, yea. Probably safe. Forget that we are going to lose crops to lack of pollinators, the food the pollinators produce is toxic.


And here's some fun about antibiotics in our meat:


Experts estimate that up to 70 percent of the antibiotics sold in the United States are given to healthy food animals on industrial farms to grow the animals faster and compensate for often crowded, unsanitary conditions.
You know, I used to think that eating sustainably and ethically raised food was trendy or expensive or a fad. But now, I feel like we must eat this way if we are going to find our way through to correcting the balance.

From front-page politics, to our food supply, we are so out of balance. Whatever happened to moderation? To thoughtful, rational discourse? To solving problems holistically, with an eye to longevity and the future, instead of "Me, Now"? Instead of maximizing production in our food system, how about we maximize health -- human, animal, and plant?

I feel... trapped. On my very small farm, I spend all my time caring, nurturing, observing, experimenting, improving. While the world comes crashing down around me, I plant my seeds, I feed my chickens, I milk my goats. What more can I do?

4 comments:

B said...

I don't know the answer to your last question, but I do know that you, and everyone like you, is on the right track.
Unfortunately we live in a world where everything has become "bigger, faster, more." And until the majority of the population realizes that they are endangering themselves with this mentality, nothing will be done. My biggest fear is that when some action is finally taken, it will be too late.
Until that happens, I'm in the same boat you are. I'll grow my seeds, raise my chickens, and hope for the best while things around me spiral.

WarPony said...

*pounds head against the wall*

The whole honey bee thing scares me. I feel like they are the Canary in the Coal Mine, so to speak.

I have a whole year to wait for my goats milk, though. *sad face*

Daun said...

Hey WarPony, I recognize you and your boy from TGS. My horse's name is Brego, too!

Thanks everyone, sometimes it helps to know we are not alone. At least we will make beautiful music as the Titanic sinks.

Jeni said...

I've often said the way to kill America is through her food system. Everytime I turn around there is another "food recall" ugh.

One thing I do is all my beef comes from my family's farm. I have not bought beef in store in about 18 years. The funny thing is when friends are over for dinner and "beef" is on the table - they say it tastes "strange". I laugh and point out that it tastes like BEEF! not fillers, fat, steroids, etc that is injected in most retail meat.